Friday, June 1, 2012

TV, Underrated Cheese and Mug Cakes

This post I dedicate to those with little, or even to those with no kitchen skills at all, because these are incredibly easy to make.


With all the free time that unemployment has blessed me, like most if not all people, I am drowning myself in TV series. Since graduation, I have finished watching Sherlock, Revenge, Once Upon a Time, Community, The Vampire Diaries, Modern Family and in one day, I managed to finish MTV's Awkward. (all of these series I recommend that you watch by the way).

Awkward. was funny. The actors are good, the plot although typical has its own twist to it and that it sort of reminds me of the film, Easy A. It makes me think a lot about my progression as a teenager. Jenna, the protagonist of the series loses her v-card at fifteen, and is madly head over heels in love with the guy who is practically ashamed of telling the school that they have a thing going on. I am not going to write about pretending to be a saint or a genius, but Jenna, girl seriously, you're a booty call to Matty, and for someone who is feeling that emotional depth, just move on. Jake is interested and honest, stick to him. Dominant alpha males are so nineties anyway.

To explain my taste further, I have a weird inclination to side kicks. They're underrated, which goes with my weird inclination to underrated things like kesong puti. Creamy, gummy, local cheese made from carabao's milk. For those who have never tried it, that's sad, and I strongly suggest you try it. It comes close to mozzarella only a bit sweeter. You can eat it in on it's own, or in a grilled cheese sandwich as my Mum prefers it (which she asked me to make for her midnight snack).


Make sure you butter both sides of the bread to make it perfectly grilled. Butter one side and grill, then while letting the other side grill, add cheese on the grilled part, before making it into a sandwich. Yummy, perfect with good TV.

Now, enough of my obsession with TV, and let me tell you how delicious my midnight snack was, to accompany me while watching Awkward. episodes again. It is a 1 minute Milo Mug Cake. Freaking genius baking cakes in the microwave! Thank you, Kirbie from San Diego. I experimented since I wanted to use Milo rather than semisweet chocolate and it was perfect. It was fluffy, chocolatey, not too sweet (just the way I like it) and ultimately hits the spot.

1 Minute Milo Mug Cake

1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp Milo
1 tbsp sugar (you can add a tbsp more if you prefer your cakes sweeter)
1 egg
2 tbsp flour
tiny pinch of salt - optional

1. Melt the butter in your mug (although I used a soup bowl since I couldn't find our bigger mugs) for about 30 seconds. Add the Milo and sugar in and mix well. Try to avoid lumps.
2. Crack the egg in a separate bowl and whisk. Add half of it to the Milo mix (you can use the other half for another mug cake or for breakfast the next day).
3. Add the flour and salt, and mix really well.
4. Microwave for 1 minute on high and poof! Yummytown.


Look at that! It rose gloriously.

I love how fluffy this cake was. I also love how easy it was to make it. Enjoy while still hot.

Also, in writing this post, my Father commented "Don't you have any more job interviews? You look bored." Thank you, Dad, for that observation. I am quite bored, but this cake is delicious.


Lovelove,
Isobel

2 comments:

  1. Great quick and simple recipe. Can you make this with a toaster?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmmm. Interesting question, I bake cookies with a toaster, but I never thought of making a cake with it. Maybe if you have a toaster-proof cup? And it will probably take longer than a minute. Why not try and tell us? :D

      Delete

Leave me a note, sweethearts? :)